Well, I’ve done it. I’ve put my favorite breakfast, most recommended food, and sneaky money-saving ingredient into an insanely delicious, portable breakfast. I’m calling it the Best Ever Blueberry Baked Oatmeal! Filled with my favorite oatmeal mix-ins, this Best Ever Blueberry Baked Oatmeal is everything my oatmeal dreams are made of. Make it once and enjoy it all week long or spoil your friends and family at brunch.
If you’ve followed my blog at all, I hope I have accurately expressed my deep love for oatmeal. It has been my favorite breakfast since I was young. I really can’t quite wrap my mind around people strongly disliking oatmeal. It’s warm, comforting, delicious (if made right), and is one of the best choices you can make for your metabolic health. Come on, people!
I still think that if you don’t like oatmeal, you aren’t making it right. If you make it with just water, of course it’s gross! Would you eat Cheerios with water? No? I didn’t think so. Why are you forcing oats into this same sad fate? If you aren’t making oats with nut butter, vanilla extract, and cinnamon, then you aren’t making them right!
For the other skeptics in the crowd who don’t get filled up from oats. Again, you aren’t making them right. Add nut butter to give them some staying power! This Best Ever Blueberry Baked Oatmeal recipe has nut butter and chia seeds for protein and fat. Each serving has 14g of protein. If you want more, pair it with hard-boiled eggs, chicken sausage, breakfast sausage patties, or mix some protein powder into the oats.
Oats are also insanely cheap, making them the perfect breakfast when you are trying to save some money. All bulk grains are a great way to save money at the grocery store. This recipe has frozen blueberries, since they are affordable all yearlong. If you are making this recipe in the summer, use fresh blueberries when they are in season and bountiful.
If you’re interested in the health aspect, oats are legitimately the best food you can eat for your cholesterol. I wrote about why they are helpful here. If you aren’t interested, know that they are delicious and good for you!
Try different spices, nut butters, toppings, and milks to mix it up. Swap out the blueberries for chocolate chips, use gingerbread spiced sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter, almond egg nog instead of milk, or garam masala for cinnamon. Endless combinations! Or keep it as if for the Best Ever Blueberry Baked Oatmeal!
Best Ever Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
Per serving: 400 calories, 14g protein, 17g fat, 43g carbohydrate
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups milk of choice
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup nut butter
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix together wet ingredients. Add dry ingredients to wet and thoroughly combine. Allow to sit for 20-30 minutes before baking. Don’t skip this step!
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick spray. Evenly spread half of the oatmeal mixture to the bottom of the baking dish. Scatter 1 1/2 cups of blueberries. Cover with the remaining oatmeal mixture and sprinkle the last 1/2 cup of blueberries on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the oats are completely set.
- To reheat in the microwave, either add a splash of milk or cover with a damp paper towel. For a firm slice, reheat in a skillet on low heat for 2 minutes each side.
- Nutrition information based on almond butter and almond milk.